Stairs 2016

In the beginning of 2016, my coworkers had a crazy idea to walk the stairs once a day at 3PM. Our office is on the 6th floor, that's 6 flights of stairs. Well the first time, I about passed out on the 3rd. I was in that bad of shape.

I was embarrassed.

I also didn't want to give up in front of my peers. I didn't want to look like a punk.

So I Devised A Plan.

Next morning, I tried the stairs again. This time I made it up to the 4th floor before having to rest. I still remember how painful it was for me to get that last step. But, I improved an entire floor. 22 steps.

At 3PM I made it to the 5th floor without stopping to rest. Almost! Almost there. I couldn't quit now.

The next morning, I made it all the way to 6 without resting. It sucked. I was gasping for breathe, but I made it.

Over the next week, my body began to adjust to the exercise. By Friday I could make it to the 6th floor without wanting to collapse. I was still gasping for breath but I wasn't about to fall over any more.

Taking It To The Next Level

Over the weekend, I realized I had a ton more energy and was nowhere near as winded. The only changes I made were the stairs so I knew they were the key to my increased vigor. I began to wonder how much more I could do.

So Monday I came back and devised a plan. Twice a day I would go the extra mile on steps. Interestingly, most of the office already quit the stairs routine so I had plenty of room to move about.

What follows was my workout routine. It took me 2 weeks to finish the individual routines without taking a break.

Disclaimer: You should be aware of your limits. Don't hurt yourself.

Beginner Stairs

Level 1

Walk 1, Repeat

Level 2

Jog 1, Walk 1, Repeat

Level 3

Jog 2, Walk 1, Repeat

Level 4

Jog 1, Lunge 1, Repeat

Level 5

Jog 1, Side Step 1, Repeat

Level 6

Jog 1, Lunge 1, Jog 1, Side Step 1, Jog 1

Level 7

Walk 1, Jog 1, Lunge 1, Side Step 1, Hop 1


Once I survived Level 7, I was ready to upgrade my exercise once more.


Level 8 - Leg Death

This exercise assumes the following:

  • You have at least 6 floors to work with.
  • You have at least 20 steps between floors.
  • You have a landing between floors.

I did this exercise 2x day for one week.

Saturday morning, I was really feeling it. You know that first stretch in the morning? Yeah, well my legs screamed at me. You are warned.

Video of me performing Leg Death below

1st floor

10 Step Ups, Left Foot First

Stair Jog to landing

10 Step Ups, Right Foot First

Stair Jog to 2nd floor

2nd Floor

10 Jumping Jacks

Stair Lunges to Landing

10 Jumping Jacks

Stair Lunges to 3rd Floor

3rd Floor

10 Knee to Elbows, Left Foot First

Stair Side Steps to Landing

10 Knee to Elbows, Right Foot First

Stair Side Steps to 4th Floor

4th Floor

10 Squats

Stair Hops to Landing

10 Squats

Stair Hops to 5th Floor

5th Floor

10 Ski Jumpers, Left Foot First

Stair Crossover Lunges to Landing

10 Ski Jumpers, Right Foot First

Stair Crossover Lunges to 6th Floor

Bonus Points: 6th Floor

10 Calf Raises

10 Toe Touches

Stair Side Lunge to Landing

10 Calf Raises

10 Toe Touches

Stair Side Lunge to 7th Floor


February Workout Challenge

After Leg Death, I realized I was completely neglecting my upper body.

My lower body felt powerful. My leg were no longer cylinders but the muscles had grew enough to show definition. It was amazing.

Maybe if I worked my upper body, I'd see similar results. Starting with week 1, I'm doing this 2x/day

PreReq: 1 Gallon Jug of Water as a Weight

Note:This workout inspired by Adonis Hill

1st floor

10 Jug Rows

Stair Jog to landing

10 Jug Rows

Stair Jog to 2nd floor

2nd Floor

10 Jug Tricep Extensions

Stair Lunges to Landing

10 Jug Tricep Extensions

Stair Lunges to 3rd Floor

3rd Floor

10 Jug Bicep Curls

Stair Side Steps to Landing

10 Jug Bicep Curls

Stair Side Steps to 4th Floor

4th Floor

10 Overhead Presses, Left Arm

Stair Crossover Lunges to Landing

10 Overhead Presses, Right Arm

Stair Crossover Lunges to 5th Floor

5th Floor

10 Jug Lateral Arm Raises

Stair Hops to Landing

10 Jug Lateral Arm Raises

Stair Hops to 6th Floor

6th Floor

10 Jug Arm Extended Squats, Left Arm

10 Jug Arm Extended Squats, Right Arm


March Workout Challenge

As my body is adjusting to the training, I'm adjusting my training to keep my body adjusting.

I hope that made sense.

The reps start at 10 but each time you complete a set, add 1 more. Right now I'm at 20 and I tell you, the jug punch squats are brutal.

Prereq: 1 Gallon Jug of Water as a Weight

1st floor

Jug Rows, 10 Reps Each Arm

Stair Lunges to 2nd floor

2nd Floor

Jug Tricep Extensions, 10 Reps Each Arm

Stair Lunges to 3rd Floor

3rd Floor

Jug Bicep Curls, 10 Reps Each Arm

Stair Side Steps to 4th Floor, Left Foot

4th Floor

Overhead Presses, 10 Reps Each Arm

Stair Side Steps to 5th Floor, Right Foot

5th Floor

Jug Lateral Arm Raises, 10 Reps Each Arm

Stair Hops to 6th Floor

6th Floor

Jug Punch Squats, 10 Reps Each Arm

*Jug Punch Squat
Start with a Squat, jug to your side at your legs.
Punch out with the jug on the accent.
Pull in slowly with the jug on the decent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Response to FitToFatToFit Episode 4 with Alex and Geoff