Stair Exercise of the Week: Exploding Steps


Photo Credit: http://us.myprotein.com/

You may have seen in the past that I love doing alternating step ups and calf raises climbing stairs for leg day. It had work wonders for my lower body.

Glutes, Quads, and Hamstrings are worked with Step Ups and Calves are worked with Single Legged Calf Raises.

What's more, in both exercises the Abdominal Muscles is engaged to stabilize the core.

This exercise is profoundly effective. Today I discovered an upgrade. I call it Exploding Steps.

Exploding Steps

  • First, you pick a leg. I like to begin with my non dominant leg.
  • From there, I perform a step up. I prefer taking two steps but if you have trouble, one step will do for now.
  • Once elevated, I hold the stance for a second.
  • Then I do a single legged calf raise with the non suspended leg.
  • Once the calf raise is complete, I slowly descend back down to the starting position.
  • Do this 10 times for each side.

Results

I tell you 8, 9, and 10 are tough on the 5th floor. If you need help stabilizing, use a wall or a hand rail to help you maintain your balance. Of course, for even more effectiveness, use your core to keep yourself stable.

What I have found is by turning these 2 exercises into 1 compound exercise, I have doubled my reps. Even more effective.

Be aware of your limitations and don't injure yourself doing this routine but also don't stay in your comfort zone. You don't grow there.

For an extra bang to your buck, use a pair of weights or even a pair of water jugs for extra resistance.

Next week I'll be back with another calisthenic stair exercise you can do to burn calories and tone muscles.

More Stair Exercises Found Here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Response to FitToFatToFit Episode 4 with Alex and Geoff