Skip to main content

Caring Enough to Fail

Having 3 kids, a wife with long work hours, long commutes, and many other 'things' coming at me proved problematic for living a healthy lifestyle. Or so I thought in January 2016.

On the surface, there was no way I could fit an hour of 'gym time' at night. By the time Anne Marie got home, I was exhausted!

But Looking back, i realized I was giving up before I even started. Why not? I believed I would fail if I tried. I had no hope!

Of course, the person with no hope of succeeding isn't even going to try. But, the only sure way to fail is to not try.

I was making excuses. I was content enough with being discontent, I didn't 'care enough' to fail.

"Care enough to fail." - Seth Godin

I believed my work would be of poor quality because I had no time. But isn't poor quality better than nothing?

How long must we starve our goals in anticipation of the perfect solution? And what good is the perfect solution if it is never executed?

For we won't know the perfect solution until the solution was acted upon. Until it is said and done, do we really know what will work?

Stop starving goals

Instead, feed your goals with small somethings until you find significant success.

It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be something. Start with one worse habit turned into one better habit.

One increasingly optimized event after another as you progress along your journey to your goals.

2 is an optimization of 1, even when the eventual goal is 100. If you can't find your way from 1 to 2, how do you expect to go from 1 to 100?

Stop holding out for the perfect solution, and start solving. As you move, you'll learn better ways.

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

True8 March

Recently I had the honor of joining Josiah Novak's True8 March. I want to share my experiences. But first, Let's back up. There's a super hero origin story in the works which puts the rest into perspective.
100 pounds ago (heavier), I was looking for ways to get my health under control. By chance, I'm came across The Model Health Show by Shawn Stevenson. It changed my life in many ways. Along the journey I was introduced to Larry Hagner. He runs the The Good Dad Project podcast. Another aspect in my life which needed work was my parenting skills. I started following Larry and joined his Dad's Edge group.
It was in that group I discovered Josiah Novak. 
Josiah Now Josiah's words resonated with me. Over the past year, I developed a relationship with health. I could tell he shared many of the same values I discovered. It was inspiring, because I could see myself in him in about a year. Father, friend of the community, passionate about health, fitness, life. We sy…

Stairs 2017

In the beginning of 2016, I had the crazy idea to get into shape.  So, since I didn't have any free time nor a place to spend the nonexistent time... I decided walking the stairs was a great idea. Coworkers were doing it, it'll be fun. We'll get to walk and talk, and bond. Maybe I could even make a friend or two! Until I realized I could climb 3 floors without wanting to fall over and pant for air. I was that out of shape.  I was so embarrassed. An Army Veteran, couldn't even scale 3 floors without needing a rest. 
In this post last year I get more into detail about the experience and how I overcame it. I want to say it was quick and easy but it took a lot of work.  But... the work was worth it because now I can do crazy cool things in the same stair well. 
I want to share one with you. 





Dogmatic Diets

Try not to get too dogmatic with your diet. Like snowflakes, we are all similar but unique. Your best bet is to journal your way and listen to what your body tells you.
20 grams of carbs is just a starting point. Protein in grams to lean mass weight is just a starting weight.
Start there, then experiment. Get interested. Be a case study of 1. Learn to ask a lot of questions. Take all the answers with a grain of salt. Pink Himalayan Salt. Take everything with salt. You need the electrolytes.

And... of course, above all else, don’t forget to… 
Keep Calm and Keto On.