Ve-to’d – My hesitant transition from Vegan to Keto

If you follow me on MyFitnessPal (Hamenopi), you may notice my macros changed.  Once around 60%, my carbohydrates dropped to 5%. That is a huge change, both nutritionally and mentally.

Anne Marie wants to try the keto diet. That’s the high fat, low carb one. It is a radical shift from what I was doing (and planned for) but I want to support her in it. I also don’t want to prepare 3 different meals each night; kids aren’t interested in either.

The first week was tough! I missed (and still do) all the vegetables but now in week 2, I’m learning how to integrate them back into my routine.

In fact, cabbage is now back on my meal plan in week 2 during lunch. I found it surprising how excited I was to eat cabbage Tuesday. Maybe it was because I just finished working out and was ravenous. Still, I choose cabbage over bacon. That’s saying something.

Anyway, week 1 I was struggling getting enough protein. Week 2, now I’m getting too much protein. I think I’m finally figuring out and getting used to the ratios.

The thing is, I like to create my own meal plans so I understand the components behind it. I also love to cook and I rarely follow recipes as written. I see it as an art beyond the science. It worked when I was primarily plant powered. I believe it’ll work fueled with fat. I’m also logging my dietary art, because if mistaken, it’s better to find out sooner than later.

So, what does all this mean to you? Well since I’m doing keto now, I’ll be posting less vegan food and more keto food. Meat is back in my diet. Sorry to my displeased vegan friends, I hope we can still keep healthy relationships. I'm implementing every plant powered thing I can into the confines of a keto definition.

Anyways, thank you for reading. If you have any keto related questions. Please comment or email me. I’d love to connect.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Response to FitToFatToFit Episode 4 with Alex and Geoff