Helpful Hypocrisy

Many times I fail on the advice I give. Of course, I'm not perfect. I know I'm a work in progress too.

But many times when I fail on my own advice, I struggle with the feeling of failure. Or rather I struggle with the feeling of the fear of failure. There's a difference.

Even though I know failure isn't the opposite of success, it's a prerequisite to success. Even though I know progress is the true benchmark of success. I still fall into the trap from time to time.

Then instead of remembering the 9 time I overcame, I fixate on the 1 time I stumble. Have you even found yourself in the same scenario? Have you ever fixated on the failures?

Look, even Michael Jordan missed shots. Even the greats in baseball bat miss 2 out of 3. We all go off our mark but if we spend time concentrating on the missed shots, we miss more by not shooting. I'm not saying don't look where your shot went. I'm not saying don't recognize where you stumbled. Do that. You need the self awareness of where you head.

I'm saying stop staring it all day. Recognized what you did and turn back to your target. Fire again. Focus on your target and keep shooting. It's okay to recognize stumbles. It's great to remember what happened so you can better overcome obstacles in the future. But don't stand and stare at the faults all day long. Don't paralyze progress by fixating on failings

Stop staring at the sidewalk your stumbled on. It's paralyzing your progress. Return focus on your target. When your head turns backwards, you miss the next crack. If you aren't looking ahead, you are more likely to stumble of future cracks.

Perhaps that's what you're afraid of so you stopped moving. Perhaps the obstacle you barely overcame gave you a feeling of fear you will fail future fissures. Is it the trips in your past you focus on which slow you down? Are you so scared of repeating your mistakes, you stand still? Are you paralyzed, preventing yourself from progressing forward toward your goals. Is that what is stopping you?

Stop staring at sundered sidewalks of your past. Get your head out of your past. Stop standing still. Rotate your head back toward your goal and start focusing on the remaining path. Use the knowledge of the past to overcome the obstacles of the future but leave the fear of failure behind. You don't need that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Response to FitToFatToFit Episode 4 with Alex and Geoff