Skip to main content

Helpful Hypocrisy

Many times I fail on the advice I give. Of course, I'm not perfect. I know I'm a work in progress too.

But many times when I fail on my own advice, I struggle with the feeling of failure. Or rather I struggle with the feeling of the fear of failure. There's a difference.

Even though I know failure isn't the opposite of success, it's a prerequisite to success. Even though I know progress is the true benchmark of success. I still fall into the trap from time to time.

Then instead of remembering the 9 time I overcame, I fixate on the 1 time I stumble. Have you even found yourself in the same scenario? Have you ever fixated on the failures?

Look, even Michael Jordan missed shots. Even the greats in baseball bat miss 2 out of 3. We all go off our mark but if we spend time concentrating on the missed shots, we miss more by not shooting. I'm not saying don't look where your shot went. I'm not saying don't recognize where you stumbled. Do that. You need the self awareness of where you head.

I'm saying stop staring it all day. Recognized what you did and turn back to your target. Fire again. Focus on your target and keep shooting. It's okay to recognize stumbles. It's great to remember what happened so you can better overcome obstacles in the future. But don't stand and stare at the faults all day long. Don't paralyze progress by fixating on failings

Stop staring at the sidewalk your stumbled on. It's paralyzing your progress. Return focus on your target. When your head turns backwards, you miss the next crack. If you aren't looking ahead, you are more likely to stumble of future cracks.

Perhaps that's what you're afraid of so you stopped moving. Perhaps the obstacle you barely overcame gave you a feeling of fear you will fail future fissures. Is it the trips in your past you focus on which slow you down? Are you so scared of repeating your mistakes, you stand still? Are you paralyzed, preventing yourself from progressing forward toward your goals. Is that what is stopping you?

Stop staring at sundered sidewalks of your past. Get your head out of your past. Stop standing still. Rotate your head back toward your goal and start focusing on the remaining path. Use the knowledge of the past to overcome the obstacles of the future but leave the fear of failure behind. You don't need that.

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

True8 March

Recently I had the honor of joining Josiah Novak's True8 March. I want to share my experiences. But first, Let's back up. There's a super hero origin story in the works which puts the rest into perspective.
100 pounds ago (heavier), I was looking for ways to get my health under control. By chance, I'm came across The Model Health Show by Shawn Stevenson. It changed my life in many ways. Along the journey I was introduced to Larry Hagner. He runs the The Good Dad Project podcast. Another aspect in my life which needed work was my parenting skills. I started following Larry and joined his Dad's Edge group.
It was in that group I discovered Josiah Novak. 
Josiah Now Josiah's words resonated with me. Over the past year, I developed a relationship with health. I could tell he shared many of the same values I discovered. It was inspiring, because I could see myself in him in about a year. Father, friend of the community, passionate about health, fitness, life. We sy…

Stairs 2017

In the beginning of 2016, I had the crazy idea to get into shape.  So, since I didn't have any free time nor a place to spend the nonexistent time... I decided walking the stairs was a great idea. Coworkers were doing it, it'll be fun. We'll get to walk and talk, and bond. Maybe I could even make a friend or two! Until I realized I could climb 3 floors without wanting to fall over and pant for air. I was that out of shape.  I was so embarrassed. An Army Veteran, couldn't even scale 3 floors without needing a rest. 
In this post last year I get more into detail about the experience and how I overcame it. I want to say it was quick and easy but it took a lot of work.  But... the work was worth it because now I can do crazy cool things in the same stair well. 
I want to share one with you. 





Dogmatic Diets

Try not to get too dogmatic with your diet. Like snowflakes, we are all similar but unique. Your best bet is to journal your way and listen to what your body tells you.
20 grams of carbs is just a starting point. Protein in grams to lean mass weight is just a starting weight.
Start there, then experiment. Get interested. Be a case study of 1. Learn to ask a lot of questions. Take all the answers with a grain of salt. Pink Himalayan Salt. Take everything with salt. You need the electrolytes.

And... of course, above all else, don’t forget to… 
Keep Calm and Keto On.